Multi-disciplinary research at BMSC
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre provides year-round research facilities, basic and specialty equipment, and technical assistance to scientists from the five western Canadian universities as well as visiting scientists from other Canadian and international institutions. We offer unparalleled access to a wide array of environments – including unique coastal, freshwater, marine, and rainforest habitats and exceptional species diversity.
The Bamfield Marine Silences Centre continues to support research, scholarship and creative work during COVID-19, but at a reduced capacity.
Please submit applications to the Head of Research Services at least 30 days prior to start date. Applications received prior to March 15 will have priority.
The approval process will take into consideration:
- Ability to undertake research while meeting BMSC’s COVID-19 safety protocols, assessed through the completion of this Hazard Assessment and Control Plan (HACP), and justification for number of HQP/family coming to BMSC.
- University Affiliation (WCUMSS members will have priority)
- Researchers with ongoing research programs will have priority for 2021
- On campus availability that maintains our HACP for safe housing and work environments
- Approval from home institution to conduct field work
- Evolution of sex determination in a polygenic system
- Rockfish recruitment on the borders of MPA’s
- Invasive species
- Molecular evolution in subtidal marine invertebrates
- Interactions between ecological processes
- Climate change on intertidal communities
- Predicting the occurrence and strength of selection on the rate of adaptation to new environments in stickleback
- Fish physiology
- Evolution and adaptation of form and function across wave exposure gradients