Multi-disciplinary research at BMSC
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre provides year-round research facilities, basic and specialty equipment, and technical assistance to scientists from everywhere. We offer unparalleled access to a wide array of environments – including unique coastal, freshwater, marine, and rainforest habitats and exceptional species diversity.
Why do research at the BMSC?
- Access to biodiversity/environment in Barkley Sound, including navigational/environmental expertise of foreshore team.
- Facilities relevant to researchers: fresh and salt water aquaria, major research facilities, scientific SCUBA diving, accomodations, a fleet of vessels, and more!
- Logistical support for planning projects, setting up experiments, assistance from research and facilities teams.
- Proximity to airports in Nanaimo, Comox, and Victoria.
Challenge 1: Accelerating climate change
BMSC will support research objectives on coastal climate change and its effects, and solutions for managing changing ocean environments.
Challenge 2: Biodiversity and conservation
BMSC will partner with community and networks in research activities that contribute to an understanding of marine biodiversity and its conservation.
Challenge 3: Environmental resource management and sustainable economic development
BMSC will provide basic infrastructure to allow rapid testing and upscaling of new ventures in the “blue economy”, and will offer bridging opportunities for start-ups and SMEs.
Challenge 4: Building scientific literacy
BMSC will promote research into effective science education.
The Bamfield Marine Silences Centre continues to support research, scholarship and creative work during COVID-19, but at a reduced capacity.
Please submit applications to the Head of Research Services at least 30 days prior to start date. Applications received prior to March 15 will have priority.
The approval process will take into consideration:
- Ability to undertake research while meeting BMSC’s COVID-19 safety protocols, assessed through the completion of this Hazard Assessment and Control Plan (HACP), and justification for number of HQP/family coming to BMSC.
- University Affiliation (WCUMSS members will have priority)
- Researchers with ongoing research programs will have priority for 2021
- On campus availability that maintains our HACP for safe housing and work environments
- Approval from home institution to conduct field work