This year our summer program, though modified from our usual on-site field experience, will remain an intense, immersive, marine sciences experience at the third-year undergraduate level (completed your second undergraduate year).
While BMSC remains operational with essential staff, we are providing summer course additions offered via online teaching and learning, to provide more students with the opportunity to continue progressing through their programs during these times.
“I recently completed RiME (Research in Marine Ecology) and I wanted to extend my absolute gratitude to all of you who contributed to making the course possible. It was such a positive experience for me and may have changed the course of my life.” – Summer student
BMSC Online Summer Courses (University Credit)
Like our summer field courses, BMSC’s online courses will be a full-time commitment. We advise that you do not take other courses concurrently with our summer courses.
- We will provide students with opportunities to experience the life-changing environment of Barkley Sound from home, with live-streaming and online content using a combination of real-time and asynchronous interactions with instructors and tutorial assistants. These courses aim to capture many of the learning outcomes typical of regular summer BMSC courses but would take place remotely, with a minimal BMSC fee, and scholarship opportunities.
- Classes will focus on the unique biology and culture of the region around BMSC, and include opportunities to engage with real research questions, engage in community-based learning, and offer daily opportunities to engage with passionate and skilled faculty.
- Each course carries credit equivalent to a one-semester university course.
Students need to have reliable access to technology, as follows:
- A computer with a supported operating system, as well as the latest security, and malware updates;
- A current and updated web browser;
- Webcam/Camera (built-in or external);
- Microphone and speaker (built-in or external), or headset with microphone;
- Current antivirus and/or firewall software enabled;
- Stable internet connection