We are currently in the planning stages for our Fall 2021 program, exploring both online and limited in-person options.
Field School Safety Plans for in-person courses have been submitted to our member universities (UVic, UBC, SFU, UAlberta, UCalgary), and we await their decision as to whether they will approve our proposal.
We expect to have a plan in place by April, and will make an announce for the Fall 2021 program as soon as we can!
2020 FALL PROGRAM (ONLINE)
Fall Program 2020, though modified from our usual on-site field experience, remained an immersive, marine sciences experience at the fourth-year, senior undergraduate level. We inspire investigation, promote critical thinking and offer students the opportunity to conduct an independent research project.
Students are encouraged take all three core courses, running in successive 3.5 week blocks, however you make take one, two, or all three of the courses.
The Fall Program courses are a full time commitment with both synchronous and asynchronous activities. Classes are scheduled from Monday to Friday, and involve lectures, discussions, and remote laboratory and field experiences.
Synchronous course schedule:
- Monday to Thursday from 9:00 am – 11:00 am AND 1:00 – 3:00 pm (Pacific time)
- Friday from 9:00 am – 11:00 am (Pacific time)
How to Apply for Fall 2020 courses
BMSC Fees – scholarships are available to help offset these fees.
- 3rd year standing in Biological Sciences
- Introductory Ecology and Introductory Statistics
- Ecological Adaptations of Seaweeds: Non-Vascular Plants
- Structure & Function in Marine Animals: Invertebrate Zoology
Requirements: Students need to have reliable access to technology, as follows:
- A computer with a supported operating system, as well as the latest security, and malware updates;
- A current and updated web browser;
- Webcam/Camera (built-in or external);
- Microphone and speaker (built-in or external), or headset with microphone;
- Current antivirus and/or firewall software enabled;
- Stable internet connection
“We may not actually be at Bamfield right now, but we have some pretty great instructors doing their best to make us all feel like we are! #Bamfield_RiME“.
“I recently completed RiME and I wanted to extend my absolute gratitude to all of you who contributed to making the course possible. It was such a positive experience for me and may have changed the course of my life.” Summer online students