Courses at BMSC are immersion-based requiring an intense commitment from students and instructors. Courses run Monday – Saturday, with occasional commitments on Sundays. TAs are expected to work ~60-70 hours/week. In addition, TA’s may be expected to arrive several days before the course starts for safety and boating orientation and to remain after the course ends to ensure proper clean-up.
- Reports directly to the University Programs Coordinator
- Aiding primary instructor(s) in teaching during labs and field trips; helping in design and implementation of student projects.
- Facilitation of courses by organizing equipment and scheduling.
- Student transportation to field sites (boating experience is desirable).
- Overseeing student safety on field trips.
- Lab set-up and clean-up.
- Perform other duties as specified by instructors (see below for course-specific needs).
1. For field courses that require students to be transported by boats, Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) certification is required.
NOTE: A valid SVOP also requires:
- MED A3 (marine emergency duties), or any 2-day first aid course recognized by a province or territory;
- Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate;
- complete a boat checkout and safety briefing by BMSC Foreshore staff.