- Experiential learning – BMSC is located in a pristine west coast natural environment with a diversity of coastal habitats. We provide a dynamic, hands-on learning environment, where the field and lab are your classroom.
- Intense immersion experience – our undergraduate and graduate courses allows for focus, concentration and retention of material.
- Independent and team-based research projects – provides the opportunity to explore your personal interest.
- Small class sizes – class sizes are limited to a maximum of 24 students.
- Productive interactions with researchers – seminars and social events support learning and provide opportunities to meet informally and discuss research with visiting faculty.
“It has been consistently true that the top applicants for [grad student] positions have been people with field school experience, like BMSC.”
Dr. Brett Favaro
Research Scientist, Liber Ero Fellow
Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University
Our university credit courses are open to senior undergraduates, graduates and other qualified persons. BMSC courses are directly credited towards member university degree programs (University of Victoria, University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser University, University of Alberta, University of Calgary).
Students from other Canadian and international universities can register as a visiting student at the University of Victoria, and in most cases can transfer credit to their home university. Non-credit options are also available.
Connect with a BMSC Ambassador at your home University or contact BMSC’s University Programs office with your questions.
“The courses at BMSC helped me decide my future career goals and increased my interest in the area of marine biology. I would recommend courses at BMSC to any student who really wants to know the basics about research.”
Marine Protected Areas student
“BMSC was the perfect place for a summer field course. Not only was it amazing to spend every day out on the ocean with its beautiful view of the mountains, but the people here made it have such a positive atmosphere – I don’t want to leave!”
“I adored my time here at BMSC. The facilities, the food, the people, everything was completely top notch! I will most certainly be back, and will definitely be recommending BMSC courses to all my friends”
Marine Behavioural Ecology students
“This was the greatest experience I’ve had in my university career and I would highly recommend it to everyone!”
“I appreciated the passion and hard work that went into making the experience at Bamfield a positive one. The staff is approachable but takes their work and safety seriously. I felt comfortable working on the water and staying on campus.”
“Amazing experience! I cannot wait to come back for my next course!”
“BMSC has been possibly the best post-secondary experience I’ve had. Everyone is super friendly, enthusiastic and helpful. I’ve been able to gain a lot of experience in the field and made connections with a variety of interesting people. Thank you so much for all your hard work!!”
Coastal Community Ecology students.