A summer student writes:
“At first, it seems quite expensive and I almost backed out because I can’t really afford it, but I just decided to go into a little debt and it has been totally worth it. I wouldn’t trade this experience for the world, but i think the initial price puts off people. Once you get here though, you realize how many resources (boats and lab equipment) we are provided with and the money isn’t a big deal at all.”
For all Students, fees consist of two parts:
1) University tuition fees
2) BMSC fees
University Tuition Fees
- Students registered at member universities (UA, UBC, UC, UVIC, SFU) pay tuition to their home institution.
- Students from other universities must apply to the University of Victoria (UVIC), register for BMSC courses at UVIC and pay tuition to UVIC. Click here for tuition fees at UVIC.
NOTE: At UVIC, a 3-week course is 1.5 fee units, and a 6-week course is 3 fee units.
- Students who don’t need university credit (auditors) pay tuition to BMSC. Tuition at BMSC is $500 for a three week course and $1000 for a six week course.
International students should enquire whether your institution is a partner with one of BMSC’s member universities, as you may be eligible for exchange status.
*BMSC Summer Course Fees »
The BMSC has been supporting award-winning educational field trips for over 48 years. We believe our success arises from our longstanding reputation for experiential learning that inspires youth, and from our amazing educators who have the privilege of introducing students to the region. In the past year, we have expanded our programming and made improvements on how we engage students and provide an unparalleled learning experience amidst life-changing exploration and discovery. Our mission is to also enable student impact by providing more hands-on research experience.
We have also seen increases in the costs of operating in this beautiful, remote environment. We purchased a new skiff to maintain our safety record. We improved the reliability of our electrical grid to prevent power cuts. And there have been higher costs for fuel and food. Consequently, you will notice a slight increase in associated fees to maintain our level of service ($5/day increase in accommodations, $4/day increase overall for meals). We value your business and hope you understand that these increases will permit us to provide you with excellent service and an unmatched opportunity for life-changing exploration and discovery in this breathtaking region.
2020 BMSC Fee includes accommodation, meals and user fees:
Application Fee $50 (before deadline) or $75 (after deadline) Per Course Deposit $200 BMSC Fee 2 weeks $1140 BMSC Fee 3 weeks $1711 BMSC Fee 6 weeks $3424
- Course deposits must be received by April 1st to hold your place in summer courses.
- Course deposits are not refundable, but may be applied to a new course in the same summer if you change your mind about what course(s) you would like to take.
- Course deposit fees are applied towards your BMSC fee, they are not additional fees.
*Fees are subject to change.
*BMSC Fall Semester Fees »
2020 Course Fee includes accommodation, meals and user fees:
Application Fee $50 (before deadline) or $75 (after deadline) Per Semester Deposit $1000 BMSC Fee 16 weeks $6500
- Deposits must be received by the first day of summer courses to hold your place in the Fall semester.
- Semester deposits are not refundable.
- Semester deposit fees are applied towards your BMSC fee. Course deposits are not additional fees.
To drop a course, students must inform the University Programs Coordinator in writing (e-mail, fax or post), that they will not attend. It is not sufficient to cancel registration at a member university.
Fees can be paid to BMSC by cash, debit, credit card, cheque, money order or travelers cheques.
*Fees are subject to change.
If you are a graduate student at a university covered under the Western Deans Agreement (Athabasca, Brandon University, University of Lethbridge, University of Manitoba, University of Northern British Columbia, University of Regina, University of Saskatchewan, Concordia University College of Alberta, Royal Roads University) you may not be required to pay extra tuition.
Graduate students at member universities who have paid tuition for the summer semester need not pay additional tuition to attend courses at BMSC.