Student Librarian, Summer 2018
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre seeks a student to run their library through the summer of 2018. The successful candidate will work under the supervision of the Librarian. This is a full-time salaried position, 8:30-4:30, Monday to Friday. Salary: $16 per hour.
The anticipated start date is April 30, or as soon as possible thereafter and lasting until August 31. BMSC will provide free accommodation with cooking facilities. Housing is available on site. The successful applicant will work in an international community of marine scientists, with frequent opportunities to interact with researchers, instructors and students, to network, and attend seminars.
*** Duties ***
- Support university courses offered throughout the summer.
- Prepare course reserve material
- Take class and student photos
- Update student contact records
- Conduct library tours
- Demonstrate the use of the BMSC Biodiversity Database
- Organize guest access to UVic library for those who need it
- Help students, instructors and TAs to locate library material, conduct literature searches, locate material on-line and request ILLs etc.
- Receive students’ final reports from TAs. Add these to the library catalogue and prepare hardcopies for binding.
- Support researchers with reference and ILL requests.
- Organize, process and catalogue new books, archival material and donations.
- Develop and maintain library systems and documentation.
*** Qualifications ***
- Experience in library and/or archival studies
- A service-oriented attitude
- Ability to follow directions
- Attention to detail
- Biology background an asset
- Knowledge of government publications an asset
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with British Columbia legislation and regulations.
Review of applications will begin February 13th, and continue until the position is filled. Please apply by e-mail and include a cover letter, resume and contact information for two references. Apply to:
Email: Beth Rogers