Marine Sciences Educator
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Field Trip Program Marine Sciences Educator
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre’s Field Trip Program is looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals to teach marine and coastal sciences to our multi-day immersion field trips from schools, colleges and adult learners. Our staff instruct thousands of students annually on diverse topics including: marine biodiversity, oceanography, climate change, primary productivity, temperate rainforest ecology, conservation biology and more!
Instruction focuses on experiential learning in lab / classroom settings, but especially in the “field” on boats, in the forest, and at our local beaches. Learning activities may be physically rigorous, such as leading groups on hikes and teaching outside during inclement weather.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Instruction and safety of visiting groups during scheduled activities
- Teaching in a variety of settings including labs, beaches, boats and rainforest
- Maintenance of equipment and field gear
- Collection and care of organisms
- Maintaining accurate records of activities
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRABLE SKILLS:
- Bachelor degree, preferably in the biological sciences
- SVOP (small vessel operator’s proficiency)
- MED A3 (marine emergency duties)
- Any two-day first aid course recognized by a province or territory
- Marine Radio Operator’s Certificate
- Criminal Records Check (fee will be reimbursed)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Team oriented attitude, but able to work without supervision
- Responsibility, tactfulness and diplomacy
- Teaching / leadership experience
- Familiarity with marine and coastal biology, ecology and general sciences
- Familiarity with computers, Word, Excel, Adobe products, Power Point etc.
- Attention to detail
- Experience driving larger boats (up to 10m in length)
- Class 4 unrestricted driver’s license – for transporting passengers in BMSC van and bus
- UVic WHMIS certification (can be obtained on-site)
- Advanced Wilderness First Aid
- PADI certification and Rescue diver – for our Live Dive program
This is a short term, seasonal position and our seasons run mid-February to near the end of May (approximately 13 weeks), and early-September until the end of November (approximately 10 weeks), with the possibility of renewal for the following seasons.
The wage starts at $16/hr for the first season.
We will accept applications when submitted and keep them on file until positions come available.
Please address your application to:
BMSC Field Trip Program Coordinator
Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
100 Pachena Rd.
250-728-3301 ext. 226