Housekeeping positions at BMSC
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre is searching for house-keeping crew to fill positions for the upcoming season, for full time and holiday relief. The positions are ten-month terms that could be recurrent based on the person and the organizational fit. We operate from February 1 to December 15.
This position involves working under minimum supervision, and performs cleaning and minor maintenance tasks to ensure that facilities are maintained with regard to safety, sanitation and appearance.
- Cleans by dusting, mopping, washing, vacuuming, polishing, brushing, disinfecting or scrubbing all surfaces of furniture, furnishings, floors, walls and other surfaces and restocks cleaning and washroom supplies.
- Washes or sweeps exterior entry ways as needed or directed.
- Cleans glass surfaces not requiring the use of scaffolds or safety devices.
- Cleans and maintains wax and polish finishes on floors, furniture and fixture surface coatings.
- Clears and cleans waste containers and disposes refuse and recyclables in marked bins or designated areas.
- Move furniture and equipment as required in performance of duties.
- Change and replenish linens, uniforms, and towels as required.
- Wash, dry and fold laundry.
- Operates all manner of hand and power tool to obtain effective performance.
- Requests and stores cleaning supplies and materials and provides routine maintenance on cleaning tools and equipment.
- Reports furniture, fixtures and other facilities in need of repair.
- Facilitate community use groups.
- Operation of housekeeping van to aid in the performance of above duties.
- Assists in maintaining security of facilities.
Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES NEEDED
- Working knowledge of WHMIS legislation and WCB regulations
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationship with staff, clients and students
- Physical capacity to carry out duties of the job description
- Able to operate related equipment
- Willing and able to work all shifts, including weekends, as required.
Current rate is $15.30 per hour.
We require all interested applicants to submit a current CV with references. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. For those select, a 3-day ‘paid tryout’ may be arranged for the positions, with meals, basic transportation costs and accommodations being provided by the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre.