Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Temporary, Full time position, April – September, 2020
BMSC is seeking an Equipment Manager who will be responsible for preparing equipment and supplies for our education and research departments and management of equipment, equipment rooms and teaching spaces; see details below.
Start/end dates are flexible, but ideally between April 15 – September 7, 2020. The Equipment Manager is expected to work a regular schedule of 8:30-4:30, Monday to Friday, with the exception of some occasional weekends (with time off during the week). BMSC will provide free, on-campus accommodation with cooking facilities. The successful applicant will work in an international community of marine scientists, with frequent opportunities to interact with researchers, instructors and students, to network, and attend seminars.
- Preparing equipment and supplies for BMSC’s university courses and researchers
- Maintaining and repairing teaching and research equipment
- Signing teaching and research equipment in and out of the inventory
- Ordering equipment and supplies
- Updating and reorganizing the inventory of teaching and research equipment
- Helping maintain safety kits and safety field packs
- Assisting with orientation of new students and instructors
- Documenting and updating procedures
- Transporting classes to field sites by boat and/or vehicle (if qualified)
- SCUBA diving for scientific purposes (if qualified)
- Other related duties as requested by the University Programs Coordinator
- A strong service orientation and attention to detail
- Flexibility and willingness to work cooperatively as part of a team
- Familiarity with basic science equipment and supplies
- Planning, organizing and coordinating skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Competency with common computer software including: Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Willingness to reside in a (beautiful) remote community for the summer
- Familiarity with BMSC (worked or studied here in the past)
- Valid Driver’s license (Class IV not necessary, but desired)
- Pleasure Craft Operator’s Certificate (PCOC) or Small Vessel Operator Proficiency (SVOP) Certification and experience operating boats
Please contact us if you have questions or are interested in this opportunity.
Review of applications will begin February 20th, and continue until the position is filled. Please apply by e-mail and include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for two references.
University Programs Coordinator