Marine Science Diving Internship 2019
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
|BMSC is seeking a marine science diving and field operations intern for the summer of 2019. Duties will include: scientific diving, surface safety attendant, subtidal and intertidal fieldwork, operation of small boats, and operational support of marine science diving (SCUBA cylinder filling, record keeping, update dive statistics etc.).|
The intern may assist with underwater video work, ROV operations and the maintenance of a video catalogue. In addition the intern may have opportunity to assist with research and education programs. Responsibilities will depend largely on the needs of current research projects and BMSC programs. The intern will be under the supervision of the Diving and Safety Officer. Highly motivated individuals seeking practical opportunities in marine science are invited to apply.
This internship will provide:
- Practical work experience at a renowned marine research field station.
- The opportunity to gain experience in a range of scientific diving and marine research techniques; develop diving operations and leadership skills documented and signed off by the DSO.
- Interaction and networking opportunities with active research divers and marine scientists.
- CAUS scientific diver 1 qualification (20m) and potential for CAUS Scientific Diver 2 qualification (40m).
- BMSC may provide the opportunity for further certifications (WorkSafe BC Occupational diver medical, PCOC, VHF, SVOP) and memberships (CAUS) (fees may apply)
- Advanced diver certifications: Rescue Diver minimum, with leadership experience
- Basic First Aid, CPR and Oxygen administration
- Cold water diving experience (Drysuit required)
- Pleasure Craft Operators Card
- Worksafe BC Occupational diver’s medical (BMSC will cover half of this cost to the successful applicant)
- Divemaster or Instructor (current, insured status)
- First Aid/Oxygen instructor
- Scientific, Occupational, Technical training
- Advanced First Aid training
- Marine Safety – Marine Emergency Duties
- VHF Radio Operators License
- Marine science/ biology background (College/ University degree or currently enrolled)
- Small Vessel Operators Proficiency (SVOP)
Desirable Experience and Qualities:
- Physically fit, hardworking and willing to perform some weekend and after hours duty
- Operation of small boats and fieldwork experience
- Mature judgment, reliability and tactfulness
- Safety conscious and strict adherence to dive regulations and boating/dive policy
- Familiarity with local marine organisms and keen interest in marine biology
- AGA/ Full facemask diving experience
The successful applicant must provide full personal dive gear (with the exception of tanks). Gear must be well maintained and have proof of annual service. Applicant is required to have current DAN insurance.
The internship will run for up to 4 months, beginning late April/ early May, and continue until the first week of September, depending on the applicant.
Hourly wage: $16/hr, shared accommodation provided. Transportation to BMSC will be the responsibility of the chosen intern. One intern will be selected.
To apply send a cover letter, current resume and the name and contact information of two referees to:
Diving and Safety Officer,
Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre,
Bamfield, B.C. V0R 1B0
250 728 3301 ext 222
Applications accepted until March 11, 2019.
Telephone interviews will follow.